Discussion Questions for FIND: Book I, The Course of Fate Trilogy
1. Is there such a thing as destiny or a course of fate? If so, does that mean “things” must happen or that they will happen? Is there a difference? What? Does this have anything to do with moral agency?
2. Several of the characters in FIND deal with personal ongoing adversity and/or depression, including Hyrum, Gabriella, Nathan, Audra, and Bette. Have you had firsthand experiences that help you relate to any of them? Do any of their experiences give you added insights?
3. How would you describe the relationship between Hyrum and his wife, Gabriella? The focus is on Hyrum and what he is doing given his unimaginable handicap, but might Gabriella be the real hero in that relationship? If so, why?
4. Abran de la Cruz claimed his cause to rectify the injustices done to the indigenous people of Mexico justified his extralegal and amoral actions. Lon used purported injustices done to him to justify his. What do you think they were really saying by their actions? Are there those today who excuse their dishonorable behavior and words with the same kinds of excuses? Examples?
5. In a similar vein, Kish was so focused on his perceived mission that any thoughts of right or wrong he ignored or rationalized away. Have you or has someone you are aware of become so focused on a goal or an objective, that weightier matters were neglected? How about justifying the violation of moral standards (e.g., lying, stealing) because of the alleged importance of the ends?
6. Nathan, Luke, and Abran all have different motives in seeking the ancient chronicles. Which is most important in determining the ultimate value of a find: Its intrinsic worth; or the reason we want it and how we choose to use it; or how we let that discovery affect our lives? Why?
7. One of the concluding statements in FIND refers to the ramifications of the mind-blowing discovery of The Chronicles: They hold the seed of oneness, of unity. They hold the seed of chaos, of disruption. How might the discovery of these records bring unity? How might it bring chaos and disruption?
8. Are there other observations or questions you would like to discuss?